What is a Magnet School?
WREN AVENUE ELEMENTARY, SCHOOL OF THE ARTS
Our Mission: To provide leadership for high quality innovative instructional programs that promotes choice, equity, diversity, and academic excellence for all students.
Mt. Diablo Unified Scholastic Essentials Magnet Schools emphasize parent involvement, responsible student behavior and high curricular expectations. The optimum support parents can give is to provide a positive atmosphere in which learning is valued and the efforts of a child is encouraged. Research studies have shown that children whose parents are involved in their child’s education are more likely to succeed in school. MDUSD Magnet Schools are built upon the framework and goals of Magnet Schools of America: www.magnet.edu/about
Magnet schools are built on the foundation of five pillars and are free public elementary and secondary schools of choice that are operated by school districts. Magnet schools have a focused theme and aligned curricula, are typically more “hands on – minds on” and use an approach to learning that is inquiry or performance/project based. They use state, district, or Common Core standards in all subject areas, however, they are taught within the overall theme of the school. Magnet schools generally attract a wide-range of students based on their interest in a school theme.
Pillars of Magnet Schools
Mission Statement: Providing leadership for high quality innovative instructional programs that promote choice, equity, diversity, and academic excellence for all students.
- Diversity is a cornerstone to offering students a global educational experience. Culturally competent educational environments model empathy, respect, and working collaboratively with a variety of persons.
- Innovative Curriculum and Professional Development is developed to assure theme-based relevant instruction to students. Effective teaching strategies, emulating from best practices, are implemented through the inclusion of the school’s theme. Curriculum is based on high quality rigorous standards that prepare students for higher education and career success.
- Academic Excellence is demonstrated through a commitment to multi-dimensional instruction focused on learner needs. Multiple assessment strategies are employed to monitor student learning, progress, and success. High expectations are clearly articulated and personalized supports are in place to address the interests and aspirations of all students.
- High Quality Instructional Systems are rooted in well-prepared, well-educated professional educators. Teachers and administrators who are student-centered, collaborative, and inquisitive prepare learners to be world ready, workforce ready, and higher education ready.
- Family and Community Partnerships are mutually beneficial, offer a system of support, shared ownership, and a caring spirit and are designed to enhance a theme integrated educational environment. Partnerships with parents are essential for a rich educational experience for students. Community partnerships include a diverse array of stakeholders including business, health and human services, and policy makers to support the education of all students.
Strengthening our community, creativity, and confidence through the core curriculum, technology, and the arts is the Wren way!